Sound the alarms! There’s a hot new redhead on the loose. From fire engine to ginger, here’s the ultimate guide to finding the perfect red shade for you. Plus, handy application tips just for you…
Let’s talk about your eyes…
- Firstly, if your eye color is green, blue or both use a shade that is a red or bright red with warm red-orange tones. Try: Nice’n Easy in Natural Reddish Blonde 8WR.
If you have brown eyes, use a dark red violet or red violet hair color. This is designed to react in a natural way to your hair color to create a perfect-for-you hue. Bonus, it helps enhance your natural features. Try: Nice’n Easy in Natural Dark Reddish Brown 4.5 RB for this desired effect.
Now your hair…
- If you have medium to dark brown hair, you will need to select a shade of red that is two levels lighter in order to see the red shade tones within your hair color. Otherwise, your hair color will overpower your features. (Hint: a level is essentially a 1 to 10 scale of lightness to darkness. Read: Want to achieve your dream shade? Levels and tones can help!)
- If you have light brown to dark blonde hair and would like to add just a hint of redness to your color, select a demi-permanent red shade and apply to your highlights or as a glaze to your hair. Try: Natural Instincts.
- If you are blonde and want to go completely red, make sure to start off slowly and strand test a few different shades to determine the best one for you. Then pick your favorite permanent color. Try: Nice’n Easy.
Pro application tips…
- Always apply your red shade on your mid shaft and ends first, process for 20 minutes, then on your roots to avoid fire engine roots! Your virgin hair will soak up color more quickly and leave your roots redder than the rest of your hair.
- Use a darker shade of red at your root and then a lighter shade of red from mid shaft to ends to create a natural-looking finish. Try: Nice’n Easy.
- Healthy hair will help keep your red hair color longer, so keep heat styling down to once per week (also helps with fading) and use hair care specifically designed for color-treated hair!
- Let your red hair color process for 5 to 10 minutes longer than listed on the box to add increased vibrancy to your hair.
- Use a demi-permanent red shade as a color gloss in between your colorings to give your red shade a boost (about 2 weeks in). Try: Natural Instincts.