We all wish we had the magic elixir to taking years off our looks in an instant! But there’s no need to go searching for a potion! Here, our experts conjure up their top tips to have your hair (and you!) looking 10 years younger instantly.
- Lackluster locks are one of the signs of aging hair. Adding color back into your hair restores the shine, vibrancy, and richness to your locks. Try:
- Using a very hot flat iron or curling iron daily can contribute to unruly hair. Work with your hair’s natural texture instead and keep heat styling to 1x per week.
- Split ends lead to dry and brittle looking hair (one of the signs of aging hair!). Trim your ends every 4-6 weeks to keep hair looking healthy.
- Brittle hair is most likely to become frizzy and add years to your hair. Choose a hair color with a rich, conditioning formula to coat each strand and be sure to deep condition 1x per week.
- When coloring, choose a shade 1 to 2 levels lighter than your current color. This new lightness will add a new vibrancy to your complexion.
- No matter how tempted you are to change it up, make sure you choose a hair color that works with your complexion! Getting the perfect match can make you look years younger in an instant. Read:
Hair Color for Your Skin Tone: Are You a Warm or Cool?
- Flash Back: Look at a photo of yourself 10 years ago. Are you still using the same hair color? As we get older, our skin tends to change color, so the same shade of hair color that you used for years, might not look as flattering. Be okay with trading in that bleach blonde for a shade that makes your skin glow and your eyes sparkle.
- Read your hair color box! Products that say, “blends away grays” are specifically created for a few grays here and there. If you have more salt than pepper, hair color with “100% gray coverage” is more of what you’re looking for.